Monday, June 30, 2008

Who left the tables out?!

It's Monday. The very first day of the week. I get to school early in the morning to find some of the tables arranged together with some chairs outside my class. So in my mind I'm going, "What the heck?" I enter the classroom to find that the early birds have already claimed some of the chairs and tables that were left in the class as their own. Making the classroom look quite bare in places where there were no tables.

After arranging my row of tables I went about my business as usual, its like only 6.00 am. School doesn't start till 6.45 am. Yes, we do get up ridiculously early just to go to school. In my opinion, I think it's inhumane, the students living in Sabah have to wake up earlier to leave for school... Anyway, slowly the class starts to fill up with noisy students. Each having their own personal voice decibel. Pretty soon, I wasn't able to hear myself think. As was the tradition of our class.

Then, the bell rang, signifying the start of the school day and also the start of our Monday morning assembly. Which all the students, including me despite being a prefect, were dreading. I swear they were all walking abnormally slow when the time came to enter the hall. You should see them during recess, they run like its the end of the world.

End of assembly, and everyone reluctantly go back to their classes. I enter my class and see the tables still outside. Nobody had bothered to even help with lifting the tables despite the giant gaps in the middle of the classroom. Of course, I was one of them. Not proud of it by the way, but I have now realised that my class is full of self centered, hypocritical people who don't help without being asked. Once I realised this, I immediately went outside and began hauling the tables inside while shaking my head.

Out of the 45 people in my class, not one had stood up to help carry the tables. Instead, all of them refused to even take notice and just went about their noisy business.

I have no idea where this type of attitude came from. All I know is that I'm really surprised at the students of 4A.

No comments: