Wednesday, July 2, 2008

So NOISY!

After sitting down in my room today, with the fan turned off, I just sat in silence listening to the sounds around me. I never really stopped to appreciate the silence and peace that static musty air gives you. I live in a world full of noise and so do you, but usually, like anyone else who has a life, we ignore the sounds around us. The honks, bonks, crash, bangs, bumps and clangs of life.

I felt peaceful lying down on my bed looking
at the ceiling. It was so quiet, I swear that I could hear the air moving in and out of my ears. I was also quite surprised at how tolerant I was, how tolerant everyone was with all the noise. In school, I am bombarded with hundreds of sounds. Teens gossiping, teachers scolding, construction, traffic on the road, screams, laughs, giggles, scraping and all the like. At home, I have an array of sounds coming from all the animals. I have a cat, 3 dogs including 5 whining puppies and a noisy scraping hamster. Not forgetting the TV and all that music blasting from my headphones into my ears too! It's like sound pollution heaven, and that's only in Sandakan! I wonder how bad the pollution would be in New York... That, definitely could cause hearing damage.

Heck, with all this noise, I wouldn't be surprised that when I'm old and probably crippled, I'd be at least half deaf. Or worse case scenario I'd be legally deaf by 50.

Anyhow, from now on I would definitely look after my ears. Without them, I might not be able to appreciate the beauty of music, which has become one of my obsessions. And as a teen, that would be like giving an innocent a life sentence. So, I'll lower the TVs volume, less head phone time and if possible bring ear plugs to school.

No comments: